Friday, December 21, 2007

Hello, Doll Bag


Unfortunately, in an all-too-common lapse in standards regarding organization and attention to detail, I failed to make a note on the first page of the pattern of the day I began work on this bag. Fortunately, I DID make a note in my journal: it was September 20th. Guess I can save the self-chastisement for another occasion. The photo above is, as you have guessed, pre-felting, with a notebook for scale.


Here's another pre-felting photo. If you've been reading this blog from the beginning, you've already read of the many trials and tribulations associated with the creation of this bag. Liat and I substituted Cascade 220 (a much more reasonably priced yarn) for the called-for Berroco yarn, and changed the colors, too. I struggled with the two-handed fair isle technique before figuring out a system that works for me. And by the way? The felting was done in a washtub, by hand (I do believe that qualifies me for a gold star, don't you?).


Close-up, post felting (forgot to get in touch with the notebook's handlers for another close-up, for scale purposes. Trust me when I say there is a significant change in the size of the bag). Liat wanted a messenger-style bag, so we eliminated the final band of colorwork as well as the gathered closure at the top. I knitted a rather wide strap directly from stitches on the final round of the bag. She may well decide she wants a zipper put in, but since the knitting, felting, and doll-making are done, I am calling this bag finished. Wouldn't you?



Next time: another big finish and some all-too-predictable grumbling about zippers.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Finished, indeed, and a gold star too. Very nice!

LizzieK8 said...

Oh, Amy....It's absolutely gorgeous. Was it fun? I really like the Fair Isle I've been experimenting with. That bag looks way too much fun. I'm working on a Jolly Roger sweater for one of the grands right now.

Shelly said...

Wow! It really is amazingly beautiful! Your daughter will be the envy of all her friends with this bag to carry her school books in.

YOu did a wonderful job on it.

Jill L said...

Amy this is gorgeous! Wahat a project -- congrats!

Bobbisox said...

Amy, you rock!!! How did I miss this? Your work is gorgeous and I can't believe you pulled it off. The dolls are a cute touch too.