Thursday, October 18, 2007

Things are presently unsettled*



It's getting a bit weird around here. I've got card #3 on my stamping table... My sister's knitted gifts are washed and blocked... I've turned the heel on the first sock for my younger niece... Things seem to be in pretty good shape.

So why do I feel like I'm in the eye of the hurricane, just waiting for those winds to come blowing back through?

I need to make the big push and finish the cards up, get my sister's gifts and final card in the mail. I need to get my father's gift ready and in the mail. I need to make my niece's birthday card... With all those "I need to's" I guess it's no wonder I'm feeling like things are about to get really, really hairy.

On the other hand, I've enjoyed taking the time to work on the Baby Surprise Jacket I started several weeks (months?) ago. It's coming along quickly, and I'm eager to see it when it's finished. I can't wait to figure out how to fold it up, then unfold it and show my family the surprise. I've also had fun working on Liat's Doll Bag, with all the bright colors. I'm nearly ready to start the next fair isle band, and that looks like it will be both fun and challenging.

The girls and I went to the community center today to help the kids with homework. They are such a pleasure to be with! But they need so much help, and there are at least 14 kids there on any given day, often more. Liat and Meital were able to help several kids with math and other work, and I assisted with English as usual. We really need a volunteer who speaks Russian to help the newly-arrived girl from the Ukraine, and several of the kids, probably more, need help with basic reading and writing skills in Hebrew. How I wish I could help them! So this work is rewarding and pure pleaure, but also frustrating, since I always leave knowing there was alot that didn't get done.

I'm hoping to take a progress photo of my current projects, as well as a close-up of the current sock, the Oh So Nikki pattern available free at Knoxsocks Designs. It's a great pattern, and really looks good in a self-striping yarn. I always worry that patterns in self-striping yarns will fight with the color changes, but this design works perfectly.

* The title from today's post comes from a fictitious comic strip mentioned in a book by Nora Roberts. I've always thought it was a good, all purpose response.

No comments: