Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Awful Truth



I'm scared of my sewing machine.

There. I said it. I'm inimidated by an inanimate object. I have no idea how to use about three-quarters of the features. Plus, I think it's out to get me.

Avi bought this Husqvarna 500 sewing machine for me about ten years ago. I use it for sewing up costumes, hemming pants, sewing around the ravelling edges of cross stitch fabric, and sewing souvenir patches onto Liat's denim jacket. That's about it. For now, it's costume time.


I took this old shirt of Avi's (the sleeves were hacked off a few months ago in an unsuccessful attempt to create a last-minute costume for a drama production) and cut it up even more, so I could use the fabric for Meital's costume.


The apron is made from the back of the shirt. The ties for the waist are the button and buttonhole bands. The neck strap I fashioned myself and the loop came from the top of the breast pocket. Everywhere I could, I used pre-hemmed pieces to cut down on sewing.

Because, you know... I hate sewing.

I also started the chef's hat today, but I have plenty left to do tomorrow. It needs to be done by 8:25 on Wednesday morning. It will involve gathering, interfacing, and other incomprehensible mysteries. Pray for me.

The sock is at the heel flap, and today I worked a bit on my sweater. I also added a bunch of beads to Mother's Arms. All in all, not a bad day.

Once I finish sewing the hat, I'll need to start focussing on baking.

Thank goodness.

6 comments:

Jill L said...

sounds like a great day! i don't like sewing either!

Anonymous said...

I used to sew a lot but don't like it anymore. Very creative how you used various pieces of Avi's shirt to cut down on the sewing.

Anonymous said...

I used to sew, and I actually wore out a seam ripper. Wasn't sharp anymore. Then I rediscovered knitting, and the sewing machine was toast. Dusty, anyway.

Sandy said...

I think you should keep playing with it and see what else it can do. Maybe if you used it for something creative instead of utilitarian, you'd enjoy it more. Have you tried sewing on cardstock or making art quilts?

I have a 20 year old sewing machine that I seldom use. I keep it out in the art room, but don't use it very much.
Sandy

Tama said...

You did a great job on the apron - using an old shirt was really smart! Good luck with the hat; using interfacing isn't too hard, it just makes the pieces stiff. I find them a little easier to work with that way.
I'd love to have the floss left from your Wave kit - if you want to email me, we can work out the details. elf_night@hotmail.com

craftyvox said...

I can very well understand you are afraid of your sewing machine. For years and years now I have been wanting to learn how to sew, but I remember this one disastrous try many many years ago when I tried to sew a top outfit for my teddybear.. and my mum had to finish it - I was all in tears from frustration! Hahah. I never touched a real sewing machine since.. while I really would love to be able to sew my own things or just use it on my arts. I have seen people do such lovely things with combining paper crafts and sewing threads toghether!