Thursday, October 2, 2008

Some Cards


I've had a productive few days in my stamping room lately. I call the card above Lejba and Matjas. The image of the two little boys is a photocopy of a cabinet card taken in Siedlce, Poland in approximately 1909 (but don't hold me to that date, I'm only guessing here). The boys are Lejba (on the left) and Matjas (on the right), two brothers who grew up to become Louis and Max, my great uncle and my grandfather. Aren't they adorable? I wonder who knit their snazzy striped socks? The yellow paper (I tried to tone down that color; I think it still needs work) is a photocopy of the ship's record of the family's passage to America in 1920. It was from this document that I learned what my grandfather and his family were called back in Poland. The clock face was a free image I found on someone's blog, and the clock's hands are acutally game spinners from Tim Holtz.


This card and the one that follows are the start of my Halloween series. The woman in the images is quite possibly Israel's most beautiful model. The pictures came from a clothing catalog that came (unrequested) in the mail. I just love altering these things! I used crackle medium and orange paint on black cardstock for the background, then stamped various images over that. The words come from Collage Stuff.


I have one more Halloween card nearly ready to show you, and a couple more still in progress. I'm getting ready to move on to a different theme, though. I usually don't like doing a lot of the same thing, and even with different stamps and photos that's what these cards are. So keep a weather eye on the horizon; there will be more to see soon, I hope!

3 comments:

Joansie said...

Nice cards. Wouldn't it be interesting to know the history behind those socks. Who knitted them? What kind of yarn? Special occasion, etc.

LizzieK8 said...

Fantastic art, again, Amy! Movement, coloring, space... Superb!

Tama said...

I love all the cards you've been making, but I do think I like the one with the word 'ominous' best. I think it's because of the window and the 'haunted house' feel.