Monday, October 6, 2008

This is Only a Test


Several weeks ago, I started wondering which of my dye based inks truly lasted, and which faded over time. I ran a test; then a couple of weeks later, I ran another one using different colors. I stamped the images, then noted which companies the inks came from. Then I left the paper out on my stamping desk, where it was exposed to both direct and indirect sunlight. Today, I stamped the images again, below the first set, so I could compare. Above you see the results. In the first set (the leaves), I used Adirondack, Close to My Heart, and Marvy. In the second set, I used Distress Ink, Close to My Heart, and Marvy.

As you can see, which inks faded was perhaps more a matter of tone than company. The colors are pretty off on the leaf set, and I'm not positive I used the exact same Marvy color on the leaf I stamped today. Oops. Anyway, I guess it's more a matter of trial and error. Except that I do think those inks that claim to be fade-resistant have a better chance of staying true over time.


Today, when Liat brought in the mail, I was suprised to see an envelope from Scott Publications. Turns out they sent me a contributor's copy of Just Cards, volume 11, which is where my bees and apples card was published. I was delighted to have a new stamping magazine to browse through. But imagine my surprise when I realized there was another of my cards in the magazine! Pretty cool.

I spent part of the day working on some more backgrounds and cards. In fact, I should go and check on how my version of the tie dye paper towel background came out (if you follow the link, scroll down past the enormous photo in her header to see the tutorial). I didn't want to use the inks in my microwave, so I sprinkled salt on the damp paper towel instead. Hopefully, I'll show you that tomorrow.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Congrats, congrats on 2 cards being published! Have fun with your tie dye papers.

Joansie said...

Wow! Two of your cards in a magazine....congrats! Very impressive!

Jill L said...

I was a Stampin' Up! demostrator for years and their pads are good. You can get reinkers too!

LizzieK8 said...

I did the salt thing on silk scarves with Kool Aid. They turned out really neat. Can't wait to see how yours worked.