Saturday, November 10, 2007

No Visual Aids

I'm afraid I don't have any pictures for you today. In fact, a lack of photographic evidence has prevented me from writing and telling you what I've been up to for several days now. Today I've decided, the heck with that, I can always just jump right along to the "tell" portion of our program, and save "show &" for another day.

I've been doing lots of fiddling around in my crafts room, working mostly on cards for a swap called Women With Wings. My gals are nearly ready, and you can bet I'll share them here when they are ready to make their debut. I've also been doing a little bit of this and that, but don't have all that much to show for it, yet.

In knitting news, I'm moving right along on Meital's socks. Today we went to Jerusalem to see my MIL, which as you may know means Optimum Sock Knitting Time. I managed to finish the leg, work the heel flap, turn the heel, and start the gusset decreases on the second sock of the pair. If those words are meaningless to you, I apologize. I'm in a real rush to finish this pair, so I can start on the leftovers socks I am going to make for Avi for Chanukah. Over the summer, he finally, with great reluctance, agreed to let me knit a pair of socks for him. His single condition was that I am not allowed to buy new yarn in order to make his socks. So I've gathered up a bunch of copacetic sock yarn, and hope to turn out a respectable-looking pair of socks for him by the evening of December 4th. To make sure I have enough yarn to make the socks identical, I am planning to (for the first time ever) knit both socks at the same time. Today a turn on sock #1, the next day catch up to that on sock #2. We'll see how it works out! And of course I want to surprise him, so I have some camouflage knitting set up (a baby hat in sock weight yarn on double pointed needles) to work on the next time we go to Jerusalem, two weeks from today. If I didn't have any small knitting project to work on, he would surely notice, hence the slight of hand...

Liat's colorwork Doll Bag is also proceeding apace. I'm on the fourth of five bands of colorwork. I think I have figured out a workable solution to the two-handed knitting problem. To many I'm sure it would seem awkward, but so far it seems to be working for me.

I'm nearly done with the body of the octopus I am knitting for Meital for Chanukah. I can only work on it when she's at school or asleep, so naturally today I didn't touch it.

I really want to make gifts for my sister and nieces, too! Maybe I'd better see what I can come up with, because time is definitely running out. Too bad this is one of those years that Chanukah comes so early in December.

1 comment:

Bobbisox said...

You will like working both socks at the same time, really. It is so nice to see the progress at the same time and know you don't have to remember to do each step the same, when you finished the first. Of course, I do my socks on circular needles so it helps even more, Bobbi