Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tinking


The bigger your hurry, the more likely you are to make mistakes. Last night I picked up my vest, determined to finish up the back piece and get started on the front. Then I noticed my little problem. The photo shows the inside of the vest. If you follow the line of yellow and blue loops up the middle, you'll notice there's a point at which I did not pick up the yellow yarn from under the blue. It wasn't that obvious from the outside of the sweater (the part that is on public view). But I knew it would bother me. Often, I can fix a problem that has occurred a few rows back by dropping one stitch down row by row, then picking the stitches back up again (like going up and down a ladder). That wouldn't have worked in this case, because I needed to wrap the working yarn. So I tinked (in case you didn't know or notice, "tink" is "knit" spelled backwards) back four and a half rows of 88 stitches each. Took awhile, but I fixed the problem and got back on track.

But what I didn't do was finish the vest back last night. Today we were in Jerusalem and I didn't bring the vest. Instead, I finished the socks for my mother-in-law (photo tomorrow). Now I'm going to go work on the vest, and see if I can get this back piece done. Finally.

I'm beginning to have doubts as to whether I'll have time to make the front of the vest, steam block the pieces and sew it together before, say, 6:45 p.m. on Thursday. What do you think my chances are?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I hate it when that happens!

LizzieK8 said...

Oh, honey....why didn't you just frog and pick up the sts.... to tink (which I did NOT know was knit spelled backwards) that much would put me in a padded cell....