Sunday, February 17, 2008

Color My World


I love colors. There are very few colors I don't like, and even those are usually appealing in small doses. I think one of the reasons I love so many different hobbies is that each of them gives me the opportunity to play with color.


Here's the finished card for my friend Joan P., who is having surgery on Tuesday. I realized while making this card that I know quite a few Joans. In addition to Joan P., I know two other stamping Joans: Joan W. and Joannie. I also know two knitting Joans: Joan H. and Joansie. Each of them is wonderful, creative, generous and caring. And all of them have a talent for using color.


One of the joys of crafting is the pleasure of gazing on all the various hues and tones available for me to use. It's such fun selecting the colors I am going to use in my creation. It can, at times, be very hard to decide (hey, I'm a Libra after all), so sometimes following someone else's pattern works well for me, especially in cross stitching. The design itself, as well as the color choices, are left to someone else, but because there's a photo of the completed project, I have an idea how it will look when it is finished.


Other times I select the color and then decide what I'm going to do with it. Sometimes knitters say that the yarn "talks" to them, and tells them what it wants to become. That has happened to me, as well, and I've learned to listen. If we follow our instincts (or listen to the colors, if you will) we rarely go wrong.


Wait a minute! What the heck is THAT? Oh. Oops. If you'll excuse me, the laundry is telling me it needs to be folded.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post, Amy. First, thank you for the kind compliments. Seeing your floss, makes me want to do cross stitch again and I can't right now so I have to be disciplined.
The card is beautiful. You have so many talents and I enjoy all your creativity.
Lastly, the laundry basket fooled me. I thought I was looking through panels on a door at colors for some other craft. Laundry!!! Yikes, I haven't done mine yet and have been knitting instead.

Anonymous said...

Yes! My yarn not only talks, it bosses me around.

Jill L said...

Love the coloful blog. I have tons of stamping stuff. I used to be a Stampin' Up demonstrator. I
love being creative, but found stamping messy for some reason. I can squash my knitting in a bag and take it all over and I can do it in bed. I probably have over 200 cards around from mystamping days. I was fun and I really enjoyed it. I May get back to it when my boys leave home and I can take over thier room.

Unknown said...

You people who hear your yarn talk should lay off the sauce a bit. hee hee hee, that a joke folks!